Demopolis Boards and Commissions
Boards and Commissions provide an important service in Municipal Government. The formation of boards and commissions means that concentrated effort may be given to specific areas that the Mayor and Council would be unable to oversee in such detail. The City of Demopolis has both incorporated boards and unincorporated boards. Incorporated boards act as a separate entity from the city, have the power to decide issues, and are not regulated by the Mayor and Council. The creation of incorporated boards is regulated by Alabama law. Board service is a great way to understand municipal government and to get involved in the community. If you are interested in serving as a board member contact your Council representative and volunteer. The following is a brief listing of the City of Demopolis Boards, their function, and meeting dates. More information is available in the office of the City Clerk.
Airport Advisory Board – Considers issues of Municipal Airport improvement.
- Meets as needed
Beautification Commission – Assists Horticulture Department in beautifying Demopolis.
- Meets at 4:00 pm on the first Monday of each month at Rooster Hall
- Members appointed by the Mayor for three year terms
Board of Adjustments – Hears appeals to denial of building permits and considers variances to the Demopolis Zoning and Building Codes
- Meets the first Tuesday of each month at 5:15 p.m. in Rooster Hall
- Members for three year terms by the City Council
Board of Education – Tasked with the operation of the Demopolis Public School system.
- Meets at 5:15 p.m. the third Monday of each month at the Board of Education building
- Members appointed by Council for five year terms
Cemetery Trustees – Oversee the operation of the Demopolis Municipal Cemeteries.
- Meet on the third Tuesday of the month at 5:15p.m. at City Hall
- Members appointed by the Council for 5 year terms
Chamber of Commerce Board – Operates and oversees Chamber of Commerce activities.
- Meets on the second Monday of each month at 5:15 p.m. in the Chamber Board Room.
- Members self-select from Chamber membership
Citizen’s Task Force – Help identify dilapidated and nuisance properties.
- Meets as needed
- Members appointed by Council for three year terms
Industrial Development Board – Administers Industrial Parks and acquiring new Industry for Demopolis